Blatchington Windmill

fallback-one-image-939
ToolBox

2,555 Views

0 Comments

Print this page

Add Favorites

Blatchington Windmill

BLATCHINGTON WINDMILL

Built to serve the local farm, both flour and animal foods were produced. Milling ceased in 1897 and in 1936 the long south barn was destroyed by fire.

Following road construction in the late 1930s, the mill now stands isolated on a central island and in 1979 the building was opened to the public after extensive renovation and restoration by both the local council and a group of volunteers.

Although regular opening to the public is restricted to Sunday and Bank Holiday afternoons from May to September, school parties and other groups are shown round at other times by appointment.

Blatchington windmill is an ideal venue for all age groups and has been quoted as being one of the finest mill museums in the country. Display panels of early maps and photographs show the history of the mill and life around the village, including the manor house (demolished in 1955), parts of which dated to the early 14th century. The architecture of the buildings can be clearly seen including the re-use of ship’s timbers in the ‘A’ frame which supports the upright shaft.

 

Address
97 Holmes Avenue Hove BN3 7LE
Telephone
+44 (0)1273 776017

Contact Author

What is the sum of:

Does this listing belong to your company? Click here to claim this listing.